This training is designed for data architect or administrator, who is designing the architecture of leveraging Power BI in a solution. Someone who wants to understand how all components of Power BI are sitting beside each other to build the whole solution. This training is designed for understanding the strategy of using Power BI rather than the development of it.
In this training, you will learn about architecting the strategy of a Power BI solution from end to end. This is not training about development. However, knowing some of the basics of Power BI is helpful.
You will learn about Power BI Service, and different types of connections in Power BI and choose the right type of connection for your solution. You will also learn all different ways of sharing a Power BI Solution and the pros and cons of each. The course continues with a detailed discussion about row-level security. You will learn how gateway configuration and set up will be in the whole package. You will also learn about integrating Power BI with other tools, and some architecture blueprints to follow when you are designing a Power BI solution.
At the end of this training, you will be able to design the architecture of Power BI for your requirement; you can choose the right way of sharing and design the gateway configuration as well as the communication of Power BI with other tools and services. You will be able to answer any questions that come to your mind about a solution architecture in Power BI world and make the right decision to choose the right strategy of Power BI usage in your organization.
The training includes but not limited to topics below:
1: Power BI Service
Power BI service or website plays an important role in designing a Power BI solution. Power BI website is the hosting environment for Power BI reports, dashboards and datasets. In this section, you will learn about these objects and their configuration. You will also learn about the different types of connections in Power BI, and the position of the gateway in the solution, configuring and installing it.
- Power BI Components
- Power BI Service Content; Dashboard, Report, and Dataset
- Dashboard Features in the service
- What is Gateway?
- Two types of Gateway; On-premises, Personal
- Configuration and Installation of Gateway
- Import Data and Schedule Refresh
- DirectQuery Connection
- Live Connection
- Composite Model
There are several ways of sharing Power BI reports and dashboards. Each of the methods has pros and cons and should be used in specific scenarios. In this section, you will learn scenarios to use each of these methods for sharing, and the sharing of architecture, and a comparison between all these methods at the end.
- Basic Dashboard or Report Sharing
- Workspaces in Power BI; Dev Environment
- Power BI Apps; User Environment
- Publish to Web
- Embed in SharePoint Online; Office 365 Integrated Sharing
- Power BI Embedded; Embedding content into another application
- Comparison of all Sharing methods
Sharing is about giving users access to the entire content; security is about giving them access to part of it. There are different ways of implementing security (which is called row-level security in Power BI). Statics row-level security is a good option when roles are limited items. The next level is to define a dynamic row-level security using DAX functions. Dynamic row-level security comes as different patterns which will be discussed here through examples.
- Row Level Security
- Dynamic Row Level Security
- Patterns for Dynamic Row Level Security
- Manager Level Access
- Organization Chart Access as Dynamic Row Level Security
- Profiles and Users; Dynamic Row Level Security
- Dynamic Row Level Security using SQL Server Analysis Service Live Connection
4: Administration and Licensing
As a Power BI administrator, you need to have a careful eye on some of the metrics, and control some of the settings across your organization Power BI tenant. In this section, you will learn about Power BI administrator configuration options and options which are critical to controlling. You will also learn about all licensing options for Power BI and will have a clear view of what would be the best licensing option for you.
- Power BI Administrator Configuration
- Usage Metrics
- Customizing Usage Metrics
- Power BI Licensing Guide
- Power BI Premium
- Power BI Embedded Licensing
Power BI can integrate with other tools and services such as Reporting Services and Excel. In this section, you will learn about all integration options for Power BI. This section will also give you a full understanding of Power BI Report Server; the on-premises usage of Power BI. You will learn Power BI REST API capabilities (not at a developer level, more in architecture level), and you will learn about real-time streaming options available with Power BI.
- PowerPoint Integration with Power BI
- Power BI and Excel; More than just an Integration
- Power BI Report Server: Power BI on-premises
- SQL Server Reporting Services Integration with Power BI
- Real-time Streaming with Power BI, and Azure Stream Analytics
- Power BI REST API
The last part of the training focuses on architecture blueprints for Power BI. In addition to architecture best practices for sharing, self-service, enterprise-level architecture, you will learn about a tool that can help in Power BI solution designed by RADACAD; Power BI Helper.
- Architecture for Enterprise Scale
- Architecture for Sharing
- Architecture for Self-Service
- A tool that helps: Power BI Helper
Details about what to prepare prior to the workshop (if you bring your own laptop - please note that no PCs/Laptops will be available at the venue)
- You CAN bring your laptop (However, not mandatory). Because the pace of the workshop might be faster than waiting for everyone to catch up with demos.
- If you decided to bring your laptop, then you will need to have Power BI account (Pro), and Power BI Desktop installed.
- Materials will be shared with you on the day of the workshop
About the trainer
Reza Rad is author, speaker, trainer and consultant. He is the world well-known name in the Microsoft BI field. Reza Rad is invited speaker in world’s best and biggest SQL Server and BI conferences such as PASS Summits, PASS Rallys, SQLBits, TechEds, Ignites, Microsoft Data Insight Summit, and so on. He is author of books on this topic, and he has more than 15 years’ experience in the Microsoft BI technologies. 10 years of his experience focused on training and consulting to the largest BI teams in the world. He is also Microsoft Certified Trainer for years. He is Microsoft SQL Server MVP (Most Valuable Professional) focused on BI and Data Analysis, He has been awarded MVP from Microsoft because of his dedication and expertise in Microsoft BI technologies. He is author of the free Power BI online book; from Rookie to Rock Star; http://radacad.com/online-book-power-bi-from-rookie-to-rockstar